Tuesday 8 February 2011

Genre

'Genre is usually a set of conventions - recognisable, usually through iconography, familiar narrative, mise-en-scene, actors and style of representation.'




After having a whistle-stop tour of genre in my media lesson today, and a lengthy chat with Mrs Brogan, I've decided that I'm going to be filming mine in the documentary genre. Originally I wanted to mix this up a bit by trying to make the audience question whether or not what they are viewing, has actually happened and whether or not it is fiction. But after realising that this would be rather complex and I don't necessarily have a reason for trying to film like this, that I'm just going to do it in a documentary style. Mrs Brogan suggested possibly showing how a lot of documentary film-makers exploit the people they are filming by invading on personal moments to make the audience react in certain ways to what the film-maker wants.






And now for some words from James Monaco


'Increasingly we are all going to see the same ten movies' 


After reading this quote, it has inspired me to change and add some originality to this genre instead of necessarily doing the typical close up shot of someone crying, and asking probing questions when my subject is seeming to be most vulnerable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment