Monday 2 May 2011

Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

For our preliminary task we had to film a character walk through a door and talk to someone on the other side. With this we had very little time to plan and decide on what we were going to do, we simply just found a spare room and went for it with very little preperation. This is very different to my final piece where the planning began months ago and every little aspect was decided before I even stepped foot into my location. For our preliminary we used ourselves as actors as we couldn't find anyone available at the time who was willing whereas for my final piece the first thing I checked was whether I would have the actors to acheive what I wanted as it would have been very difficult to find two children who could speak french 30 minutes before I started filming. 
     With the preliminary task, not much thought went into the music which would accompany it but with my opening I had to find music that would fit the tone of the piece and appeal to my target audience. Also with the final piece we were not allowed to use copyrighted music whereas with the preliminary we just chose something off of our iPods that would fit with the footage. 

   Another contrasting aspect was the editing. With the preliminary task we spent a maximum of one lesson editing it, 1 hour. But with my opening I spent at least one lesson on trying to place the subtitles in the correct places, it took at least 5 or 6 lessons worth of editing to finish my opening with each sound clip, video clip and subtitle in its right place.

Therefore I feel that the main thing I've learnt throughout the whole process is timekeeping and how much time should be put into and allocated to each aspect of my final opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment